Rock Lighthouse lies due south-east of the harbour town of Trewarthan,
Cornwall. Built in 1890, the Lighthouse was manned (in 1912) by
Principal Keeper Oliver Drake, First
Assistant Robert Shaw and Second Assistant
James Wolfe. Each had local connections
to the town, and were well regarded and known to be sound of mind.
evening the "keepers" would start the electric generator
(newly installed) and go about their nightly duties. On the evening
of April 29th, 1912, a think fog rolled in across the English Channel,
and shrouded the sea in an icy cloak. The lighthouse would normally
have been very active, with the fog horn sounding every few moments.
This was not the case, that fateful April night. A passing ship,
The Ribos, observed that the lighthouse was not lit, so the ships
captain (Tonker Travers) raised the alarm in the harbour.
mystery remained a dark secret until the early 1990's, when the
lighthouse (and island) won TV's Renovation archeology series. After
months of work, the lighthouse was opened to the public. Soon after
this event, the ghost stories began......